Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 4: Zero degree skis for zero degree weather



It was raining super hard in Squamish this morning. Pretty much everything was soaked before we even got on snow. On the bright side, the rain was slushy snow at the Olympic park, which means we got to ski on zeros, which is 1000000x better than klister skiing. I tried out my new Madsus hairies, prepared by the great Peter Hamilton himself, and they worked awesome. I'm not too experienced in the hairies skiing department, but once I got a quick zeros 101 lesson from James (Cunningham), I was good to go. We were supposed to be helping the media get ready for the relays today, the 4x5km. We were skiing two legs each, I was in the second group of skiers. The main point of this was to ski together, not to ski fast, so the pace was pretty relaxed. We could watch the other skiers on the big screen while we waited, but it got kinda cold. Even though the temperataure was sitting around 0, everything was soaking wet, and damp like that gets to you. Once the first group tagged off we warmed up pretty quick, the course starts out with a big climb. It's kinda tough, trying toold formation, but feeling like you should ski fast for the cameras... its not easy to know what to do. Our on-snow leader, the Whistler Nordic coach Maria, was getting orders through her radio the whole time. You can't just zone out and ski, or you'll drop the group. Petter Northug was testing skis close by but I am a wuss so Mike, your 50$ is safe for now.

I am starting to feel better, still stuffy but way better than I was yesterday. My kick-ass immune system has stepped it up once again.

Thaaaats all Folks!

Michelle :)




The girl's start


Skiing...


Skiing...


Skiing...


Annddd, then we had to stop cause the group got broken up






The boy's start


The boy's start


Athletes testing skis


Some of the forerunners

1 comment: