Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 11: Some Classy Shopping in Squamish

Not too much to report today. I opted for a day of rest and recovery, slept in till 10 and then set out to enjoy the sights in Squamish. We quickly came to the conclusion that Squamish the place of cheap everything. Their main street’s biggest attractions include the Lucky Loonie, Liquidation World, several second hand clothing stores and some department store that was really a pimped out Dollorama. And I admit it, we visited them all. We were on a bit of a mission to find a Canadian flag, but no one had any idea where to find one. My most impressive buy of the day was a Panini and gelato, which were amazing. My knee has been bugging me quite a bit these last few days. Skiing is almost 100% fine, but walking is... unpleasant. So I called it a day after Main Street was done and headed back to the inn for yet another night of Olympic sport watching. On tonight’s menu: Figure skating, skeleton and men’s hockey. Very exciting, hockey was fun, we’re surrounded by some pretty intense hockey fans here. Apparently Petra Majdic, the bronze medallist from yesterday’s sprint race, raced all of her races with four cracked ribs and a punctured lung. That’s quals, quarters, semis and finals, FOUR races, and a podium to top it all off with a punctured lung?!? Either the media is upset that the luge drama has been set aside and have decided to pump up the ratings, or this woman is superhuman. I mean, not to sound like a whiner, but cross-country skiing is HARD, you kind of need your lungs. Form your own opinion, here’s the link:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Olympic+cross+country+Slovenia+Petra+Majdic+determination+grit+wins+bronze/2583221/story.html

The end of my trip is fast approaching; I’m trying to suck as much olympicness out of everything as possible. Two weeks has flown by, and it’s hard to believe that in three days I’ll be sitting in chemistry, learning about chemical equilibrium, or something along those lines. Sigh.
Anyways, time for bed, sorry I wasn’t more interesting today.
Michelle :)

1 comment:

  1. I've really appreciated your posts and thank you for sharing the spirit and feeling of being there. I'm watching the reruns of the 15K as I write. What a race and what a course. Cheers and all the best to you when you return.

    IM

    ReplyDelete