Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 1: Wait, Sit, Wait, Sleep, Sit, Wait

So I'm here. After a reasonably bump free, airport full day, my plane touched down in Vancouver YWG International airport. I waited for the shuttle that was supposed to take me to Whistler for accreditation for two hours, which was okay, cause it gave me time to charge my celphone, my lifeline, my baby, which was bringing me closer to a heart attack with every low battery beep. Once we (finally) got on the road, you could really tell olympic fever is in full swing. It seems like every second car is a cop or some kind of white van with the olympic logo. Talking to our driver, Martin, a quebec native who seemed more than happy to find someone to speak french with, I quickly picked up that he, and the other locals were less than happy about the olympics and all its related traffic, costs and tourist invasion. But even he had to admit that the vibe you get from all the endless Go Canada t-shirts, ads, street signs and posters is not something that can be disliked unless, and I quote him, "you have a heart made of rock".

Our accomodation is alright, although I have a room meant for 4 all to myself right now. Of everyone who was supposed to arrive tonight, onl me and the two coaches have made it. Also, this room is freezing and some guy just got pulled out on a stretcher. And there are sketchy looking cardboard boxes in the corner...

BUT, im at the olympics, skis, stuff and self intact. All is well. Sorry for the lack of pictures but trust me, you dont wanna see the inside of the winnipeg airport. It sucks.

Thats all folks!

Michelle

4 comments:

  1. Yay Michelle! Thanks for blogging... it allows the rest of us to live the adventure vicariously through you. Have fun for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, this is awesome ... keep up the blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, Michelle! Hi from Canadian Classics at Heritage!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!

    Sam from Ottawa

    ReplyDelete